- Is it the taking part that counts?“The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not winning but taking part; the essential thing in life is not conquering but fighting well” said Baron Pierre de Coubertin, founder of the Olympics. But is that really true? ‘It’s the taking part that counts’ is a phrase I hear most commonly used sarcastically, andContinue reading “Is it the taking part that counts?”
- The Need for SpeedOccasionally something happens that makes you stop in your tracks and take an honest look at where you are, where you have been, where you are going and why. The 2021 European Championships a few weeks ago was just that for me. A weekend of big emotions followed by tough conversations and the harsh realityContinue reading “The Need for Speed”
- Tokyo 2020 – no international spectatorsI was in the Costa coffee queue, mindlessly scrolling through Instagram when a caption jumped out at me. ‘It has been concluded that overseas spectators will not be allowed entry into Japan for #Tokyo2020’. My heart dropped and my eyes were suddenly swimming. After all the support they have given and sacrifices they have madeContinue reading “Tokyo 2020 – no international spectators”
- Olympic Year Take 2 – Same Same but differentHere we go again. Another year of building up to the biggest sporting event in the world. Another winter of relentless training sandwiched by trials and testing against the great friends you spend every day with, for a finite number of Olympic seats. Another opportunity to get it right. To go that little bit faster.Continue reading “Olympic Year Take 2 – Same Same but different”
- Nowhere else I’d rather beNo where else I’d rather be. I first heard this phrase when doing race prep with a coach in Wales. He suggested that this was the thought that I held in my head during those precious moments of silence when sat on the startline just before a race. It was good advice, and a helpfulContinue reading “Nowhere else I’d rather be”
- A new Tokyo 2020It is 4 months to the start of the 2020 Olympic games that we have spent the last 4 years building towards, and in 4 days everything has changed.
- Dare to DreamI want to go to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. To most, that probably doesn’t come as much of a surprise considering I am part of the GB rowing team but the reality is, that sentence is hard to write. It is a bold statement, a big dream. It leaves space for this thing that weContinue reading “Dare to Dream”
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.